It’s incredibly sad that it takes a death to pull this from the shelves….again. My heart goes out to the family who is going through the loss of a baby :(
More than 3,000 Wal-Mart stores nationwide have pulled from their shelves powdered infant formula after a Missouri baby died of a rare bacterial infection after being fed the formula, The Associated Press reports. The decision was made “out of an abundance of caution,” the chain announced, as the investigation into the cause of death for the 10-day-old infant continues. Wal-Mart is pulling 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder with the lot number ZP1K7G, though the government (continue reading here)
Did you know that it’s impossible with current technology to produce sterile powdered formula? Here’s even more information that the manufacturers aren’t telling parents:
– linings contain BPA (including “organic” brands)
– increased risk of allergies and IBS
– it’s never sterilized
– bacteria can survive in a formula can for beyond 1 year
– increased risk of childhood obesity and diabetes
– the FDA does not test formula prior to marketing and sale
– they contain perchlorate, the base chemical in solid rocket fuels
Source and complete list of facts here
Beetles and larvae found in formula – read more here.
P.S. Here’s a picture of what beetle larvae looks like if you need a visual.