For thousands of years of Ayurvedic medicinal tradition, Himalayan Salt has been the one salt that is considered truly therapeutic. Himalayan Salt contains the full spectrum of 84 minerals and trace elements. It is an unrefined, unprocessed raw salt that is hand-mined from abundant salt caves that were formed over 200 million years ago as ocean salt settled in certain geologic pockets around the earth. I recently took part in an Ayurvedic workshop on the elemental approach to foods and tried Himalayan pink salt for the first time. I was so surprised by the taste and of course the pretty pink color! I was also impressed to find out that Himalayan Salt can actually take care of dehydration due to the low sodium and high electrolyte count – the opposite of what iodized white salt does! A pinch of Himalayan salt in a glass of lemon water is the perfect drink to rehydrate with!
Back to the nitty gritty. Regular white table salt is made via a chemical compound: sodium chloride. It’s highly processed and chemically “cleaned” so that it’s left only as sodium in the end. Oh, but they do add in extra iodine (artificially) so that you’re getting at least one mineral ;)
And sea salt, which I have been using for ages thinking it was superior to regular white salt, is in fact, just regular table salt. The term “sea salt” is essentially meaningless. White processed salt can still be called “sea salt” even though it is devoid of full-spectrum sea minerals. Unless you’re buying a pure, organic, non-refined sea salt, but keep in mind that oceans are often polluted by oil spills, dioxins and mercury so you may want to switch over to the pretty pink stuff.
According to Ayurvedic medicine, here are the benefits:
Regulates the water content throughout your body.
- Promotes a healthy pH balance in your cells, particularly your brain cells.
- Promotes blood sugar health.
- Promotes the absorption of food particles through your intestinal tract.
- Supports respiratory health.
- Promotes sinus health.
- Prevention of muscle cramps.
- Promotes bone strength; ensures optimum delivery of the key minerals for good bone density.
- Encourages healthy sleep patterns-it naturally regulates sleep.
- Supports your libido.
- Promotes vascular health.
- In conjunction with water it regulates blood pressure.
- Serves as a source of balanced electrolytes.
- Natural treatment for athletes’ foot.
- Oral hygiene.
- Helps reduce the signs of aging.
I’ll be sharing some self-remedies using Himalayan salt so keep an eye out for new #modernmombeauty posts!